Full Media List
Indigenous Guardians learn how to map permafrost changes in new workshop.
CBC report on Dehcho collaborative on permafrost.
Laurier researchers help to build understanding between scientists and Indigenous communities around the Arctic
99. August, 2020: Charlotte Morritt-Jacobs, Aboriginal Peoples Television Network (APTN), Yellowknife, NWT. On-line article: “Dehcho guardians guiding research on climate change” 18 Aug., 2020. https://www.aptnnews.ca/national-news/dehcho-guardians-guiding-research-on-climate-change/
98. July, 2020: Max Gibson, Gimlet Media, New York (Spodify). Interview on the Dehcho Collaborative on Permafrost. 8 July, 2020.
97. July, 2020: Charlotte Morritt-Jacobs, Aboriginal Peoples Television Network (APTN), Yellowknife, NWT. Interview on how climate change is changing the land. 7 July, 2020.
96. May, 2020: Matisse Harvey, Radio-Canada (CBC Quebec), Montreal. Privés d'accès au terrain, des chercheurs sollicitent l'aide de communautés du Nord. 29 May, 2020. https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1707197/arctique-chercheurs-recherches-terrain-autochtones-nord-science or PDF
95. May, 2020: Cabin Radio, Yellowknife. On-line article: ‘This is an opportunity.’ Scientists and guardians team up in pandemic”: https://cabinradio.ca/36450/news/environment/this-is-an-opportunity-scientists-and-guardians-team-up-in-pandemic/
94. April, 2020: Hannah Paulson, Cabin Radio, Yellowknife. Interview on how researchers are adjusting to C-19. 29 April, 2020.
93. April, 2020: Joanne Stassen, CBC North, Yellowknife. Interview on how researchers are adjusting to C-19. 20 April, 2020.
92. April, 2020: Five Laurier researchers who are helping protect the Earth. Wilfrid Laurier University on-line publication: https://www.wlu.ca/news/spotlights/2020/april/five-laurier-researchers-who-are-helping-protect-the-earth.html. PDF
91. March, 2020: CBC North, The Trail Breaker, CBC report on Dehcho collaborative on permafrost: link
90. March, 2020: “Indigenous Guardians learn how to map permafrost changes in new workshop”. CBC North news article, published on-line, 4 March, 2020: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/indigenous-guardians-permafrost-map-workshop-1.5480069. PDF
89. February, 2020: Interview with Susan Nerberg, Freelance Reporter/Writer on subject of field courses/camps for Dehcho-based high school students, 24 Feb., 2020.
88. December, 2019: Interview with Anna Desmarais, Correspondent, CBC North, on subject on current research at Scotty Creek Research Station, 16 December, 2019.
87. November, 2019: Three Laurier events to focus on Indigenous research. Wilfrid Laurier University on-line publication: https://www.wlu.ca/news/news-releases/2019/nov/three-laurier-events-to-focus-on-indigenous-research.html. or PDF
86. November, 2019: Laurier researchers help to build understanding between scientists and Indigenous communities around the Arctic. Wilfrid Laurier University on-line publication: https://wlu.ca/news/spotlights/2019/nov/laurier-researchers-help-to-build-understanding-between-scientists-and-indigenous-communities-around-the-arctic.html or PDF
85. October, 2019: Interview with Victoria Emanuelle Forest-Briand, Columnist-Researcher, CBC Quebec, Canada, on article “Large loss of CO2 in winter observed across the northern permafrost region” in Nature Climate Change, 22 October, 2019.
84. August, 2019: Interview by Native Press, Yellowknife, on Northern Research Basins Symposium & Workshop, Yellowknife. Interviewed by Zach Dahl.
83. August, 2019: Interview with CKLB Radio on Northern Research Basins Symposium & Workshop, 101.9 FM, Yellowknife. Interviewed by Josh Campbell: https://soundcloud.com/cklbradio/bill-quinton-august-22nd
82. August, 2019: Interview with CBC North (Yellowknife) on Northern Research Basins Symposium. Interviewed by Avery Zingel.
81. June, 2019: Laurier Press Release: Laurier to host circumpolar conference in Yellowknife on northern hydrology and Indigenous knowledge sharing. https://www.wlu.ca/news/news-releases/2019/aug/laurier-to-host-circumpolar-conference-in-yellowknife-on-northern-hydrology-and-indigenous-knowledge-sharing.html or PDF
80. June, 2019: Laurier Press Release: New Laurier Research Chair program helping top researchers make an impact. https://www.wlu.ca/news/news-releases/2019/june/new-laurier-research-chair-program-helping-top-researchers-make-an-impact.html. Or PDF
79. June, 2019: National Film Board of Canada production for TVO and the Knowledge Network. Interview with Nikita Takkar (Documentary Researcher, Toronto) on how permafrost thaw is changing the boreal region.
78. May, 2019: Global News. Interview with Brian Hill (Writer, Researcher Global News, Ottawa) on impacts of permafrost thaw on Canadians, 2 May, 2019.
77. April, 2019: CBC news article, Should we blame the N.W.T.'s warm March on climate change? One researcher says yes. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/nwt-mild-march-climate-change-1.5077685 or PDF
76. March, 2019: CBC Radio, Interview with Avery Zingel, news reporter, The World at Six.
75. March, 2019: CBC North, The Trail Breaker, live interview with Alyssa Moser. Audio
74. March, 2019: CBC North, Interview with Gabriela Panza-Beltrandi, CBC North Reporter on Climate Warming, Yellowknife.
73. April, 2019: Feature Article (Wilfrid Laurier University), We drink it. We swim in it. We farm with it. We waste it. And we have less of it than you think. https://wlu.ca/features/water/index.html
72. March, 2019: GeoScience BC Press Release: New Report Shows Effects of Melting Permafrost on Landscape and Hydrology, Vancouver, BC – March 7, 2019. PDF
71. November, 2018: Laurier Press Release: Laurier’s Cold Regions Research Centre hosts conference examining impact of climate change on Indigenous communities in the North. https://www.wlu.ca/news/news-releases/2018/nov/lauriers-cold-regions-research-centre-hosts-conference-examining-impact-of-climate-change-on-indigenous-communities-in-the-north.html or PDF
70. October, 2018: Laurier Press Release: Cold regions hydrology expert to speak at Laurier. https://wlu.ca/news/news-releases/2018/oct/cold-regions-hydrology-expert-to-speak-at-laurier.html or PDF
69. October, 2018: Laurier researchers in the North engaging region’s youngest minds. https://www.wlu.ca/news/spotlights/2018/oct/laurier-researchers-in-the-north-engaging-regions-youngest-minds.html? or PDF
68. September, 2018: Laurier’s Cold Regions Research Centre accepting student registrations for Northwest Territories field course. https://www.wlu.ca/news/spotlights/2018/sept/gg-499v-call-for-applications.html? or PDF
67. June, 2018: Laurier Press Release: National Indigenous People Day. https://www.wlu.ca/news/news-releases/2018/june/expert-alert-national-indigenous-peoples-day.html?. PDF
66. May, 2018: Interview with Current Affairs, CBC North Radio. Discussion on how permafrost thaw is affecting the Dehcho region. MP3
65. May, 2018: Interview with Josh Campbell, News Reporter / Host for CKLB Radio. Discussion on Dehcho Collaborative on Permafrost. https://soundcloud.com/cklbradio/bill-quinton-perma-frost-researcher-in-the-dehcho-may-16th
64. May, 2018: Interview (14 May, 2018) with Greg Mercer, for news article, Kitchener Record, May 19th, 2018. https://www.therecord.com/news-story/8618828-laurier-researchers-search-for-solutions-as-warming-climate-changes-the-north/?s=e?. PDF
63. May, 2018: Hoarfrost River environmental field study. Feature Article in Above & Beyond, First Air. http://arcticjournal.ca/health-science/science/hoarfrost-river-environmental-field-study/. PDF
62. April, 2018: Laurier and northern high school students headed to a remote research site in Northwest Territories for a once-in-a-lifetime experience. https://www.wlu.ca/academics/research/news/2018/april/laurier-and-northern-high-school-students-headed-to-a-remote-research-site%20.html. PDF
61. February, 2018: Interview on CKLB Radio, 101.9 FM, Yellowknife. Interview with Owen Fullerton: https://soundcloud.com/cklbradio/bill-quinton-on-northern-research-project
60. February, 2018: Laurier students team up with northern high school students for environmental field course near Yellowknife. https://www.wlu.ca/news/news-releases/2018/jan/laurier-students-team-up-with-northern-high-school-students-for-environmental-field-course-near-yellowknife.html. PDF
59. February, 2018: Laurier Press Release: Laurier Cold Regions Research Centre to host lecture on caribou decline in Northwest Territories. https://www.wlu.ca/news/news-releases/2018/feb/laurier-cold-regions-research-centre-to-host-lecture-on-caribou-decline-in-northwest-territories.html. PDF
58. January, 2018: News / North: Permafrost project gets funding boost. Dehcho research maps permafrost loss, effects on water levels. PDF
56. November, 2017: Laurier Press Release: Northern activist Daniel T'seleie to speak at Wilfrid Laurier University’s annual Cold Regions Research Centre Day, 1 Dec., 2017. https://www.wlu.ca/news/news-releases/2017/nov/activist-daniel-tseleie-to-speak-at-laurier-research-day.html. PDF
55. November, 2017: Interview with Josh Campbell, News Reporter / Host. Discussion on Cold Regions Research Centre Day. https://soundcloud.com/cklbradio/cold-climate-researcher-bill-quinton-november-29th
54. October, 2017:: Wilfrid Laurier University on-line publication: https://www.wlu.ca/news/spotlights/2017/oct/laurier-senior-research-associate-in-yellowknife-investigating-how-permafrost-thaw-is-changing-northern-landscapes.html. PDF
53. September, 2017: ERL Video Abstract: Scotty GHG Flux Studies: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n0xzgrk50en8976/AABU0UQaQF2EeiqZFh5CC2NZa?dl=0
52. September, 2017: Promotional video for the opening of Wilfrid Laurier University’s new office in Yellowknife, NWT. 19 September. https://app.wipster.io/Review/A5UwEwBCK-nI_c66lab8CsvHCTr6q9_r0O3_Jc8nwcEnmYhcjg
51. August, 2017: Television interview with National Broadcast Company, Sakha (Yakutia), Russia. 9 August.
50. July, 2017: CBC North radio interview with Loren McGinnis (The Trailbreaker).
49. July, 2017: Laurier Press Release: Laurier Cold Regions Research Centre accepting student registrations for Northwest. https://www.wlu.ca/news/spotlights/2017/july/nwt-field-trip-applications-being-accepted.html or PDF.
48. June, 2017: Laurier Press Release: Laurier-led Northern Water Futures project to study water sustainability in the Northwest Territories. https://wlu.ca/news/news-releases/2017/june/laurier-led-northern-water-futures-project-to-study-water-sustainability-in-the-northwest-territories.html. PDF
46. March, 2017: Interview on CKLB Radio, 101.9 FM, Yellowknife. Interview with Ashley Anthony on Denedeh Sunrise: https://soundcloud.com/cklbradio/bill-quinton-live-on-denendeh-sunrise-10th-of-march-2017 or MP3.
45. March, 2017: The influence of taliks on permafrost thaw in the Northwest Territories, Canada. Changing Cold Regions Network, Spotlight on Student Research. http://www.ccrnetwork.ca/documents/HQP/CCRNSpotlight_Connon_PhD.pdf or PDF.
44. March, 2017: Laurier Press Release: Laurier field course gives Northwest Territories high school students experience combatting climate change. https://wlu.ca/news/news-releases/2017/march/laurier-field-course-gives-northern-high-school-students-experience-combatting-climate-change.html or PDF.
43. January, 2017: Extreme Camping, Ducks Unlimited publication: http://www.ducks.ca/stories/boreal-forest/extreme-camping/ or PDF.
41. August, 2016: CKLB Radio, 101.9 FM. Interview with Josh Campbell, News Reporter / Host. Discussion on how climate change is affecting the Deh Cho region of the NWT. https://soundcloud.com/cklbradio/deh-cho-perma-frost-research
40. December, 2015: Toronto Star. Falling lake an omen of change in global permafrost landscape. http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/12/21/falling-lake-an-omen-of-change-in-global-permafrost-landscape.html. PDF
39. December, 2015: Telephone interview with Michael Robinson, Toronto Star on 21 December, 2015 on how permafrost thaw results in landscape change.
38. November, 2015: A\J Alternatives Journal. Climate Warming and Aboriginal Communities in Northern Canada: Uncertain Futures. http://www.alternativesjournal.ca/community/events/climate-warming-and-aboriginal-communities-northern-canada-uncertain-futures. PDF
37. November, 2015: Laurier press release: https://www.wlu.ca/media/news-releases/november-2015/laurier-to-host-panel-on-the-effects-of-climate-change-in-canadas-north.html
36. November, 2015: 570 AM. Interview with Martin Bauman. http://www.570news.com/2015/11/19/laurier-panel-climate-change-posing-threat-to-canadas-north/
35. November, 2015: Scientific American. Permafrost Meltdown Raises Risk of Runaway Global Warming. Melting ground could release enough greenhouse gases to trigger catastrophic climate change http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/permafrost-meltdown-raises-risk-of-runaway-global-warming/. PDF
33. September, 2015: Telephone Interview by G. Vaidyanathan of Climate Wire Magazine on 20 Sept., 2015 on how permafrost thaw is changing northern ecosystems.
32. August, 2015: Provided a two-day interpretive tour of the Scotty Creek research facility and site to G. Vaidyanathan, Reporter for Climate Wire / Scientific American.
31. April, 2015: Introductory remarks for “Water + Ice: Precious Resources, Principled Neighbours”. Panel discussion with Hon. M. Miltenberger, Minister of Finance and Minister of Environment & Natural Resources, Northwest Territories, and Ms. Merrell-Ann Phare, Chief Negotiator, Government of the NWT, and others. Youtube video: http://legacy.wlu.ca/page.php?grp_id=13495&p=23510
30. April, 2015: National Geographic, published 2 April, 2015. Reference to Scotty Creek in "Are Harvard's Dying Hemlocks a Warning for Trees Everywhere?". http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/04/150402-forest-die-off-climate-harvard-hemlocks-global-warming/?. PDF
29. January, 2015: Interviewed by Meagan Wohlberg, Northern Journal, 16 January, 2015. “Spreading southern wetlands, drying delta lakes: scientists predict the future of a warmer NWT”. http://norj.ca/2015/01/spreading-southern-wetlands-drying-delta-lakes-scientists-predict-the-future-of-a-warmer-nwt/. PDF
28. January, 2015: Interviewed by Randy Henderson, North Beat (TV), CBC North. CBC Studio, Yellowknife, 15 January, 2015. http://scottycreek.com/media/audio/28_CBC_INT_HYDROLOGIST%2001-26-2015.mp4
27. January, 2015: Legislature Talks: The Knowledge Series. Invited public presentation at the Legislature Building, Yellowknife: “A glimpse of the future: insights into water resources in a warmer NWT”, 14 January, 2015. Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaUgYDD5F8Q&feature=youtu.be
26. January, 2015: Interviewed by Ollie Williams. Moose FM - 100.1 CJCD Yellowknife, 13 January, 2015. http://scottycreek.com/media/audio/26_BILL-QUINTON-RAW_Moose-FM.mp3
25. January, 2015: Interviewed by Robyn Burns. CBC North. Yellowknife, 12 January, 2015. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/researchers-say-n-w-t-permafrost-is-thawing-at-a-dramatic-rate-1.2900813. PDF
24. October, 2014: Interviewed by Ollie Williams. Moose FM - 100.1 CJCD Yellowknife, 3 October, 2014.
23. September, 2014: News Article, Dehcho Drum. Scientists study changing landscape: Researchers expanding permafrost studies at Scotty Creek. Thursday, September 4, 2014 p. 6. http://nnsl.com/archive/pdf-archives/
22. June, 2014: InsideLaurier (June 2014). Grad students spend three months at remote research site: Research in the Northwest Territories looks at how climate change is affecting the Far North. http://issuu.com/wilfridlaurieruniversity/docs/insidelaurier-april
21. April, 2014: Interviewed by Matt Holmes, Matt Holmes Show. CHML AM 900, Hamilton, 22 April, 2014. Discussion of Earth Day. http://scottycreek.com/media/audio/21_seg1-Bill-Quinton.mp3
20. September, 2013: Opening of the new Centre for Cold Regions and Water Science. YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rhK1O_FHxs
19. October, 2013: Quinton radio interview. Host: Leonard Linklater, CBC Whitehorse – radio interview, 23 Oct., 2013. Oceanus share News and interviews CBC Radio wolf creek basin WLU project oct-21 2013 http://scottycreek.com/media/audio/19_CBC-North_Yukon_18Oct2013.mp3
18. October, 2013: Transcript of Minister Miltenberger’s speech to the Legislature on the Laurier-GNWTPartnership. http://news.exec.gov.nt.ca/j-michael-miltenberger-update-on-partnership-with-wilfrid-laurier-university/. PDF
17. October, 2013: Research@Laurier (October 11, 2013). Researcher feature on: opening of new centre for leading-edge research into cold regions and water science. http://www.wlu.ca/news_detail.php?grp_id=0&nws_id=11726
16. October, 2013: Research@Laurier (October 13, 2013). Researcher feature on Canadian Water Network Grant: Laurier researchers receive funding for Water Knowledge Application Network (WatKAN), Quinton, Baltzer, English et al. http://www.wlu.ca/research.
15. October, 2013: News article, Kitchener Record Article, Oct. 5th, 2013. http://www.therecord.com/news-story/4141714-new-laurier-centre-focused-on-water-cold-region-research/. PDF
14. September, 2013: Research@Laurier (September 9, 2013). Researcher feature on Quinton: “Research shows permafrost and ecosystems in the subarctic changing quickly”. http://www.wlu.ca/research.
13. September, 2013: Radio Canada International. Feature on Quinton/Baltzer/Sonnentag research at Scotty Creek, NWT. “Research shows permafrost and ecosystems in the subarctic changing quickly” by Marc Montgomery. http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2013/09/09/13345/. PDF
12. September, 2013: News Article, Dehcho Drum. Deh Cho muskeg at centre of climate change study, Thursday, September 5, 2013 p. 3. PDF
11. September, 2013: News Article, Dehcho Drum. Country food reassurances offered at Kakisa workshop. Thursday, September 5, 2013 p.4. PDF
10. September, 2013: News Article, Dehcho Drum. Muskeg offers climate clues. Thursday, September 5, 2013 p.7 PDF
9. September, 2013: Provided a two-day interpretive tour of the Scotty Creek research facility and site to the NASA/ABoVE (Arctic Boreal Vulnerability Experiment) Science Advisory Team.
8. August, 2013: Provided a one-day interpretive tour of the Scotty Creek research facility and site to a delegation including R. Thompson, Reporter for the Decho Drum, M. Miltenberger, NWT Minister of Environment, representatives from the Decho First Nation, and others.
7. August, 2013: Featured article by journal. Williams, T. W. Quinton and J. Baltzer, 2013. Linear disturbances on discontinuous permafrost: implications for thaw-induced changes to land-cover and drainage patterns. http://environmentalresearchweb.org/cws/article/news/54403. PDF
6. July, 2012: CBC North radio interview with Joslyn Osenbrug (The Trailbreaker).
4. October, 2010: CBC-North TV interview with Deneze Nakehk'o (Northbeat), Climate warming in the north. Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre (4 October, 2010).
2. December, 2007: Unlocking the secrets of climate change, by Roxanna Thompson, Northern News Services (13 December, 2007). PDF
1. December, 2007: Problems Ahead for Canada’s Water Supply. The Record (Kitchener), Research File (8 December, 2007). PDF